Thursday, June 4, 2009

3,128 Saturdays


My favorite place to be as soon as I wake up when the house is still and the sunshine is peeking in to say "good morning!" is on my couch in the front room of my house. My kids dubbed it the "prayer room" years ago. They knew that is where they would find me each morning. One day, not too long ago, I was sipping my coffee and having a little conversation with God. The verse "Teach us to number our days" (Psalm 90:12) popped into my head. I pondered it for a few and then, feeling somewhat curious, pulled out my calculator to literally number my days.


What I discovered astounded me as it changed me. I was 40 at the time and generously gave myself until 100 years old to live out my days. I decided if I went to meet Jesus face to face at 100 years old, that gives me 60 years left. Here is where it gets scary. 60 years times 365 days means I only have a grand total of 21,900 days left here on Earth! That's it! It seems like such a small number. 21,900 dollars can only buy a car - not even a house. Small number.


It gets worse - when I divided that into the days of the week, my jaw dropped. I have only - get this - 3,128 Saturdays left here on Earth! That is assuming I live to be 100! This number is so small I could easily fit 3,128 squares on a chart and mark them off one by one. This number makes things like dust bunnies and tummy tucks seem like a ridiculous thing to waste my energy thinking about. After all, in a mere 3,128 days, how clean I kept my house and what kind of shape my body is in will be a non-issue. How I impacted my world will be all that matters.


So the question is, with my very few Saturdays left, what do I want to do? 3,128 Saturdays left to kiss my kids and let them know how much I love them, and my hubby. 3,128 Saturdays left to encourage a friend or help someone in need. 3,128 Saturdays left to do something that makes a difference in the world. If I told one person every week that God loves them and can help them, I will have only told 3,128 people when I stand face to face with Him. I best get busy...



BACK TO SKINIES: http://www.skinies.com/